Tuesday 28 May 2013

Inspiring rock pools

I have had "writers block" regarding the penultimate chapter for the second part of the book for ages.  I have started and discarded it several times before abandoning it to start the re writing process.  My thoughts were that if I made significant alternations in the re write I would get an idea to overcome the "blockage!

The solution came yesterday when we went to Sitia further along the coast to the East.

The road side was so colourful with pink and white oleander, yellow broom and lots of fresh green trees and after a look around the shops and harbour we enjoyed a paddle the length of the very long sandy beach.

At the far end are many rock pools where the water was exceptionally warm and one was deep enough for a very pleasant swim.

After a picnic lunch Alan had a doze in the shade of tamerisk trees and I continued paddling.  Sat on a rock, thinking back over the story without really knowing I was doing so, I started to feed bread to small fish caught in the pools.  This reminded me of a clever seagull we had seen last year in Agios Nikolaos.  This bird did not greedily snatch up pieces of bread thrown to him as you would expect.  Instead he waited until several fish were nibbling the bread and then he struck, catching a fish.  This was no accident, he did it several times.

That little memory was a key - If I go back and fit it into the story I wont need the chapter I'm struggling with, yippee!

This picture of Sitia was taken in 2008 when accompanied by David we arrived by boat from Agios Nikolaos and then took the bus home.  Shame. the boat option is no longer available.

No comments:

Post a Comment