Monday 9 June 2014

Chronia Polla (Χρονια Πολλα) Rodanthe

9th June is the Name Day for all Greek girls and women called Rodanthe when they are wished 'Χρονια Πολλα' (Chronia Polla), like 'Many Happy Returns' on a birthday.

Even though I'm not in Crete this year to celebrate I'll raise a glass, say 'Yamas' and dream that on this day in 2015 I'll be celebrating the event with a wee celebration for my book about Kritsa's most famous Rodanthe, now know as Kritsotopoula (Girl of Kritsa).

Below is one of my favourite photos of the relief sculpture of Rodanthe in her disguise as a male rebel at the point where her secret is about to be discovered!  The carving, sited at the 1823 battle ground, was made in local stone by Kritsa's resident sculptor Nigel Ratcliffe.  Cretans love to give people nicknames, and with a big nod to Michaelangelo, Nigel is known locally as 'Angelos'.


No comments:

Post a Comment